December 23, 2014
Bank Holidays – What you need to know
As we move into 2015, we thought we’d share the most important things small business need to know about Bank Holidays and Employee Entitlements.
1. Britain has eight permanent bank holidays: Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day, Spring Bank Holiday and Late Summer bank holiday. But were you aware that there is no statutory right for employees to take bank holidays off work? Any right to time off depends on the terms of your employee’s contract of employment.
2. When an employee works on a bank holiday, there is no statutory right to extra pay. Any right to extra pay also depends on the terms of your employee’s contract of employment.
3. Treat part-time workers the same as full-time workers. Pro-rata bank holiday allowances, irrespective of whether an employee normally works on the day a bank holiday falls.
4. Your employees can not (under the terms of their employment contract) refuse to work a bank holiday even for religious reasons. However, employers should be aware that a refusal to grant Christian employees time off for any of the bank holidays with religious significance could amount to indirect religious discrimination – particularly if it places them at a disadvantage when compared with employees of other faiths or non-religious employees.
Why not let us review your contract of employment to check that you are up to date with all the latest employment legislation? Call us on 0845 184 4615 to find out more.
British Bank holidays for 2014-2015:
- Thurs 25 Dec 2014
- Fri 26 Dec 2014
- Thurs 1 Jan 2015
- Fri 2 Jan 2015 (Scotland only)
- Tues 17 Mar 2015 (NI only)
- Fri 3 Apr 2015
- Mon 6 Apr 2015
- Mon 4 May 2015
- Mon 25 May 2015
- Mon 13 Jul 2015 (NI only)
- Mon 3 Aug 2015 (Scotland only)
- Mon 31 Aug 2015 (except Scotland)
- Mon 30 Nov 2015 (Scotland only)
- Fri 25 Dec 2015
- Mon 28 Dec 2015
You can ensure you know when all the bank holidays are in 2015 with our handy Moorepay Calendar – available as a free download on our resources section.