What Are the Updates to the SSP1 Form?
Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) have published an updated SSP1 to be used by employers when an employee is not entitled to SSP or their SSP entitlement is ending.
The following changes have been made:
- The form no longer talks of benefits but has Universal Credit (UC) and Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) instead
- All links and phone numbers have been corrected where necessary
- The old part E has been removed. It is now added to the new part C or incorporated within the form
- The list of options in the new part C has been updated. It now includes the following:
- You became sick after your contract of employment ended (Note for employee: Your employer will have to pay you SSP if they ended your contract solely or mainly to avoid paying SSP)
- You did not tell your employer about your sickness
The employer can download the form and then either complete it on screen and print it or print it and then complete it with a pen.
Once completed, the form must be provided to the relevant employee, who may then be able to claim other forms of financial assistance.