Tax-free child care scheme eligibility
Parents of children under four on 31 August 2017 can apply for tax-free childcare. Here’s what you need to know:
- The scheme was rolled out to all eligible parents from 2017 onwards.
- Families with both parents working and earning less than £100,000 per year become eligible to receive 20% off their childcare costs (up to £2,000 per year for each child, and up to £4,000 if the child is disabled).
- Parents who get tax-free childcare will set up an online childcare account for their child/children. For every £8 they pay into this account, the government will pay in £2 to use to pay their provider.
- Parents can get Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as 30 hours free childcare if they’re eligible for both.
Eligibility depends on:
- Working status
- Income (and partner’s income, where applicable)
- The child’s age and circumstances
- Immigration status